The school recognises that voluntary workers and undergraduate students completing placements at Frankston Special Developmental School (SDS) make a significant contribution to our school community by applying their skills to enrich the learning programs for our students. It also helps attract future employees into special education by allowing students and volunteers a first-hand experience of the joys of working with students with special needs.
Schools are required to develop and implement school level policies and procedures for the recruitment, screening and management of volunteers, consistent with the requirements of Ministerial Order 870: Child Safe Standards.
To provide guidelines around the processes and procedures in place to ensure that volunteers and students on placement fully understand their role within the school.
This policy applies to:
- all volunteers and students completing placement at Frankston SDS
- Volunteers / students will be provided with induction training including: Child Safe policy and procedures; Code of Conduct; manual handling and OH&S procedures; duty of care to students and confidentiality requirements.
- Volunteers / students must present a current “Working with Children” (WWCC) card or receipt to the assistant principal before commencing work.
- A staff member will be allocated to supervise a volunteer / student in the area of work they are assigned to.
- Volunteers / students will be matched with work that is suitable to their skills, interests, time commitments and health status.
- Volunteers and students completing placement must sign onto the school’s IPAD at the front desk each day before and after work.
- Volunteers / students will be supervised by a FSDS staff member at all times.
- Volunteers / students are expected to treat others professionally, respectfully and courteously and should expect the same treatment returned to them.
- Every opportunity will be taken to publicly recognise volunteers/ students for the contributions they make to the FSDS community.
- Scope of work will include: working with students in the classroom, administration duties such as photocopying, assistance during community access and camps.
Links Policy: Child Safe, Visitors, Duty of Care, Yard Duty Supervision
Author Assistant Principal
Reviewed Feb 18
School Council Approval n/a
Next review date Feb 22
References DET Policy and Advisory Guide: volunteers, DET Occupational Health and Safety Advisory Guide